Support measures for international recruitment and accessibility to employment assistance services.
Services Québec has recently reviewed certain measures regarding immigrants and their eligibility to the job market and employment assistance services. Here are the main changes:
SUPPORT MEASURES FOR INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT OF TEMPORARY FOREIGN WORKERS
The government confirms the implementation of three measures aimed at businesses that undertake international recruitment in order to support them financially.
The measures clarify the definitions of categories of workers eligible for measures and necessary work permits to benefit from.
Temporary foreign worker
The expression «temporary foreign worker» or TFW refers to a person who owns a work permit and who can practice paid work, if provided with proper documents, to enter Canada and stay for a limited period of time.
The post-graduate foreign student has the same status as a temporary foreign worker when he or she obtains a work permit (for example, a post-graduate open work permit).
Open work permit
The TFW who have an open work permit can accept a job and work for the employer of their choice during the period indicated on the work permit. They can change positions without limitation. There are two types of open wok permits:
- the permits without limitations, which make it possible to work in any profession and in any place;
- the permits with limitations, which limit the profession or the workplace.
Eligible categories for measures
- TFW with an open work permit
- TFW spouse or common-law partner, holding an open work permit;
- Post-graduate foreign student who holds a post-graduate open work permit;
- Spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student, holding an open work permit;
- TFW who holds a work permit issued under the agricultural component;
- A person who holds a Working-Holiday permit (WHP) in Canada as well as their spouse or common-law partner. This type of work permit is open.
- The asylum-seekers (usually code 28 on the work permit) and their life partners, even if they hold an open work permit.
- The foreign students;
- The TFW participating in the seasonal agricultural workers program (SAWP).
MEASURE SPECIFYING THE ELIGIBILITY FOR MEASURES TO EMPLOYMENT SUPPORT SERVICES (ESS) AND TO EMPLOYMENT READINESS PROJECTS (ERP)
Measure on eligibility of temporary foreign workers and of their life partners to the entire range of public employment services (this last measure intended for individuals falls within continuity because since April 1st, TFW life partners have access to ESS and to PRIME).
- Social insurance card which social insurance number (SIN) begins by the number 9;
Valid open work permit OR a valid closed work permit.